Over the last two days I have lost my voice. I am writing this at 6am and I am not sure if my voice is back yet BUT I realized yesterday that maybe it is a message to my body to BE QUIET! Any way, I did get a few messages yesterday about Gluten free and dairy free nourishment so I decided to share a quick meal idea that takes basically no time or talents to produce!
Lemon rice with crunchy Chickpeas
So this recipe came to be because my friend Candace is growing a lemon tree and she gave me one two weeks ago. It was a Meyer lemon so it has a touch of sweetness to it but I am pretty sure that a regular old lemon would work just fine.
What you need:
Cooking oil (I prefer coconut oil )
water (for boiling rice)
1 can of Chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed
1 cup of rice (I like basmati)
1/2 of medium Sweet yellow onion
1 cup of celery
1 lemon, juiced
1tsp salt (for cooking rice)
1 tbs of Mt. Elberts All Purpose seasoning (from the Savory Spice Store)
What you will do:
1. Put your rice on to boil, adding salt to the water. (If you aren’t sure how to do this there are instructions on your rice container and a vast Internet but I am side eyeing you)
2. Chop onions and celery finely. Put on to saute in oil in a large skillet or pan. Add seasoning.
3. While they sautée juice your lemon. Pour over the onions and celery.
4. Open Chickpeas. Drain and rinse. Add to skilled. Sautée and let the Chickpeas get a little crunchy.
5. Mix in your cooked rice.
Curried Kale and Zucchini
I love kale and zucchini but until last week I had never cooked them together on purpose. This is a quick side to go with your lemon rice…
What you need:
2 cups of Kale, chopped (I prefer lacinato over curly because of its tender leaves)
1 medium zucchin, chopped
1/2 cup of Vandalia onion, chopped
a dash of salt
1 tsp of curry
What you do:
1. Chop all your vegetables
2. Put onions on in oil in medium pan on medium heat. Allow to cook until translucent.
3. Add in kale and zucchini. Add salt and curry. Add 1 tbs of water and cover.
4. Cook for about 8 minutes.